Monday, January 31, 2011

My mom always knows more than me

I had yet another learning experience the other day. Jay and I have been in a situation where we havent known where we are going to come up with the money to pay keltys latest round of medical bills. And of course, I go and have these delusions of grandeur for lack of a better term. I skip ahead and think that we're going to lose our house and be in the streets...and have little ragedy ann children schlepping around garbage bags looking for the nearest soup kitchen. But....something always works out.



The last time kel was in the hospital was right before x-mas. She was lifeflighted there and I knew it was going to be a super huge bill. And it was. Let me tell you, we could have bought a couple beautiful new cars for the price we've paid for that girl. And its all been worth it. I would pay anything and everything for her. But it just gets hard after years of paying and just when we get it to a manageable state something happens again where we have to pay in upwards of $20,000.



So we were talking to my parents about what we are going to do. The medical billing lady at Primarys told me the monthly payment was going to be a certain amount for a couple years. Well, their "certain amount" is going to make it difficult to pay our mortgage, because we were stupid and couldnt get insurance reinstated for about 30 days and all this happened in that uninsured time. Tough cookies for us. Who knows what we're going to do.



So...in my parents infinate wisdom. Namely, moms infinate wisdom told me what they thought we should do. I guess moms relief society lesson was on Elder Uchtforfs latest talk in the Ensign. It said something to the effect that we should stop running faster through the turbulence in our lives and slow down through it. Like in an airplane when an inexperienced pilot encounters turbulence he would go faster through it out of first reaction and hit the turbulence fast and hard to get through it quickly. When you should really slow down and ease over the bumps slowly making for a smoother ride. Mom is so smart. She knows exactly how I think. I tend to try to run through my turbulence and hit it head on so I can get through it as fast as possible. I should slow down and find another avenue to pay this bill instead of the cockeyed schemes I always seem to come up with.

So I guess I'll start to slow down and take the turbulence slow. What a cool analogy that is. Mom and dad always know what to do.

On a different note, we had a loss in the family. I feel like we're going extinct. My moms cousin in law passed away Saturday from an unfortunate demise. Im not real clear on all details but it was all so sudden. And from what I heard it was not at all an easy or peaceful passing from a medical standpoint. I know she was in full renal failure, there was cancer involved but I dont know what kind, some sort of infection from a stent that was placed, and all other sort of terrible painful things. She went to the doctor right after thanksgiving and ended up in ICU and a care center and then placed on hospice on saturday morning. She passed saturday evening. In just a matter of 2 months. Im kindof in shock. This particular side of the family doesnt feel like cousins to me, more like aunts and uncles. This death is weird because it was a shock. I didnt know she was that sick. Its going to be weird going to family reunions and not seeing her there. There wont be any reminding of how she remembers me and my sister at her wedding. There wont be any more telling me how she remembers when I was little and cant believe how Im an adult now. I feel horrible for her husband, my moms cousin, and their son. It must be terrible to lose your mother at 19...and lose your spouse. I havent talked to Val or their som Orrin but I hope their doing ok. We're just waiting for word on the funeral now. So sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment