Tuesday, January 31, 2012

mmmmm k

I have a new rant. S s s so, if your in the hospital with something highly contageous and airborne wouldnt you just understand the mask I have to wear into the room is for MY safety and the safety of the other patients? Apparently not.

So my rant is.....dont lie about being a nurse or CNA/EMT if your not one. It seems to be an unspoken code between us healthcare slaves that we'll test you to see if you really do know a little somethin' somethin' about all this mumbo jumbo we call "care".
A patient told me she was a retired nurse. Maybe shes super old school. Like way before masks and precautions were put in place to save my life from your "ick". Buuuuuut shes only in her 50's. mmmmm k, starting to get suspicious after she asked me what the mask was for. So, this "retired nurse" (air quotes all over the place!) proceeds to tell me that the blood pressure cuff was squeezing too tight and hurting her arm. Ok they hurt, I get it. But then she tells me that we have a mans cuff on the machine.......I almost pointed and laughed at her!.......there are no mens and womens cuffs! Theyre all universal! A nurse would know that!

While I was laughing and pointing in my mind shes telling me that shes extremely hypertensive because of the cuff. Yeah right, lady Im looking at all your previous vital signs for the last 3 days and theres nothing indicating hypertension. I read them all to her and she still thinks she hypertensive. Starting to suspect her credentials even more......geez.

My rant is, if you dont have the slightest clue about fundamental nursing dont tell me your a nurse

No comments:

Post a Comment